Geislingen, is a very friendly village with mostly large, well-built houses. Cattle breeding and cattle trade are the main income. Due to its location the town is the center of the beef cattle trade with Frankfurt and Strasbourg.
The town is located in the valley of the Kocher river about 2 ¼ hours northeast of the city of Hall. Where the Buehler river meets the Kocher river and the Buehler valley opens, with its “Vicinalstrassen” connecting to Crailsheim and via the Kocher valley towards the city of Kuenzelsau.The church of “Saint Veit” was renewed and enlarged essentially at the end of the 18th century. In 1843 the school was re-built and and extended and the churchyard extended towards the southeast. The churchyard wall still contains visible remainders of an old chapel. Other places such as Hergershof and Rueckersbronn were incorporated into the parish. The parish was established only at the time of reformation. However, a chapel existed already in 1383. A chaplain is mentioned in 1446. At the time when Hall was reformed, Geislingen was reformed also and Geislingen received its own pastor who also had to conduct school until a schoolhouse was built in 1660.
In 1841/42 in a joined effort by both, municipalities and the community, a connecting road, the so-called Löwenstrasse was built as a link from Geislingen to the Cröffelbach-Haller Steige with an expenditure of 12.000 guilders.
Geislingen is first mentioned in a document of 1241 in which the emperor fiefs the ‘Schenken von Limpurg’ with the ‘Wildspann’ and in 1347 the area of Geislingen at the Kocher river (quote: „das sich anhebt zu Geislingen am Kocher gelegen uff der Siegelsbach an Himmelsort Fall und geht gen Kreffelbach auf die Steige etc.“). In 1541 the city of Hall acquired one half of this area from Limpurg and in 1754 the other half from Brandenburg to which the area fell by the Limpurg fief-reversion (Limpurger Lehens-Heimfall).
Up to 1803, Geislingen was administered by Buehler. Buehler was supervised by the city of Hall. Geislingen and Bühler fell to Wuerttemberg.
According to old chronicles Geislingen carried a lion in the coat of arms.
Note: All this information has been taken from very old documents, some of them lacking in depth explanations.
During the Thirty Year War ( 1618 – 1648) the town of Geislingen suffered tremendously. The town’s resources were exhausted and the city council of Hall denied plans of Geislingen to pick up yet another loan, on top of the already lended 16.558 guilders, to cover the expenses of winter quarters, stating that the whole village was not worth it any more.
The hamlet is a branch of Geislingen and lies on a mountain ridge, thirty minutes southeast of Geislingen, close to the ‘Vicinalstrasse’ near Hohenberg and Wolpertshausen. Some well-to-do and educated farmers settled here. Hergershof and Geislingen always shared the same fate, politically and otherwise. Both villages were administered by Bühler.
Excerpts from the 1847 District Office, city of Hall, documents.